Imitation Exploding Cell Phone



Released on August 19th, 2016, the Samsung Note 7 was slated to be the flagship of flagships.


Having skipped from the Note 5 to the Note 7, Samsung included all the bells and whistles in this handheld device to make you really think that they did skip the Note 6 all together.
I'm not going to recap all the devices specs, but it should suffice to say, this thing was highly anticipated!



Samsung may have packed a little bit too much punch into the Note 7's package, because shortly after release, complaints of overheating and battery malfunction began rolling in. The 3500mAh battery included in the device had turned out to be too large for the compartment included to house it. This resulted in many fires breaking out worldwide.
The resulting global recall by Samsung ended with a re-release of the phone under a new name: The Samsung Galaxy Note Fan Edition (FE for short)
The FE features a smaller 3200mAh battery that can be safely used without fear of overheating.



The recall didn't get every dangerous device out of customers' hands though, and they occasionally pop up online for prices that are wayyy out of my budget for this kind of thing.


I resorted to finding one of the re-released Fan Edition models, and making it look like the original Note 7.
the plan is not very difficult: simply replace the back glass and change the boot logo and it's essentially identical.


Since I've always been partial to the "Blue Coral" color scheme for this device, I decided that all aspects of this project will be that pretty shade.




It began over a year ago with the box and S-Pen for a total of $37.86


I sat on those for a while...






Then appears a SM-N935S with a severely burned-in screen. Good price though, evening considering the damage. I also grabbed a new 3200mAh battery and the Note 7 branded back panel.


total project price: 160.88

Not bad! I get a full Note 7 PLUS I don't have to worry about it exploding in my display case!



My imitation Note 7 isn't perfect though. The screen burn-in is very very noticeable.
Someone in Korea must have watched this single Youtube video for an incredible amount of time.



Some things can be done to undo some of the damage, like playing static or rainbow colors for many hours.



If it ends up bothering me that much, I will replace the whole display, but since that will add roughly $100 to the project, I think I will just learn to accept my new addition as it is.

Comments